- The MAT Approach 2022
- Our principles for supporting pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
Our principles for supporting pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
Our principles for supporting pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities: Our vision for all young people attending a Trust academy is for them to achieve well, be happy and safe. Our core belief is that all pupils have a right to an ambitious and knowledge-rich curriculum – ‘the best that has been thought and said.’ This vision applies equally to pupils with and without special education needs and disabilities (SEND). We have a responsibility to ensure that all pupils with SEND are provided with the education, experiences, and skills to lead full and meaningful lives, without constraint or cap to their ambition. We seek to be an acknowledged local beacon of excellence in provision for pupils with SEND. We aim to be the provider of choice for parents and families of young people with additional educational needs.
To achieve this vision, we will:
- Continually seek to invest in staff, resources, and expertise to improve our offer.
- Be outward looking, working in close partnership with local agencies and other providers.
- Ensure our curriculum is inclusive and accessible, whilst still maintaining high expectations.
- Match the need for strong classroom climate with an understanding and appreciation of how to best support pupils with SEND; ensuring that teachers plan to meet the needs of all pupils.
- Seek out and respond to feedback from all key stakeholders (parents, pupils, staff, local community North Warwickshire and South Leicestershire College).
In doing this we will:
- Embody the mantra that ‘every member of staff is a teacher of special educational needs and disabilities.’
- Never give up on any young person with SEND and go above and beyond to find a solution for them
- Use ‘High Support, High Challenge’ as our watchwords when supporting pupils with additional behavioural challenges
- Be champions for the right of all pupils with SEND to access a full and meaningful curriculum
- Building career confidence through a range of approaches enables SEND pupils to develop knowledge and skills and supports a positive Post 16 destination.